The Blackboard discussion board allows for threaded discussions to take place in your Blackboard course. The board can be split up into Forums, which may be used to separate discussions on different topics. Within each forum users may post threads (as in “threads of a conversation”), which are the conversations themselves. A user may post a new thread (usually a question or statement calling for a response) and other users may then reply to that thread, creating a discussion.
Access the Discussion Board
1. Access your course and find the link the instructor has placed to the discussion area in the course menu. If such a link does not exist then click on Tools and then Discussion Board.
2. A list of forums available will be shown. Click on the name of the forum to enter it.
3. You will be presented with a list of “threads”. Threads are individual topics of conversation. A thread may have a number of messages within it – this is displayed to the right. Click on a thread to read it.
Note: If your course instructor has enabled it you may click on the Subscribe button to recieve email notifcations of new posts to the discussion board.
Viewing a thread and the messages within
4. You will be presented with a list of the messages in the forum. Click on a thread to view it.
Replying to a message
5. You can reply to a message by clicking on the reply button.
Note that it may be possible to give a message a rating out of five if this has been enabled by the course instructor. If the instructor has enabled it you may use the quote button to reply to the post, including a quote from it.
Add a new thread
6. You can start a new thread (i.e. a different topic), provided this has been enabled by the course instructor, by clicking on Create Thread.
Adding a message
7. When you reply to a message or create a new thread a text box will appear into which you should type your message.
Note that you may see more buttons in the text editor by clicking on the icon encircled in red in the screenshot. This will give you options to add photos and embed YouTube videos.
8. When you have completed your message click on Submit. Note that clicking on Save draft will save a draft of your message, but no one will be able to view it. It is recommended to only use Submit.