Blackboard 9 requires a newer version of Internet Explorer than that which is available on Windows XP University Desktop Environment (UDE) computers.
You are not able to upgrade Internet Explorer to a newer version and so should install the alternate web browser known as Firefox. This is very straight-forward and these instructions explain the process. If you encounter any problems please contact ServiceLine.
You may find it easier to print these instructions and work through them at your computer.
1. Access your computer’s Control Panel from the Start Menu.
Add / Remove Programs
2. Open Add or Remove Programs.
Add New Programs
3. Click on Add New Programs.
4. Scroll down the list that appears and find Firefox. Click on the Add button beside it.
5. A box will appear saying that installation is starting. You can either click on OK, or otherwise the box will automatically disappear.
6. You should then soon see a box stating that installation is complete.
7. You may need to right click on the orange square by the clock in the bottom right corner and click on Refresh Applications.
8. You should now be able to access Firefox via your Start Menu. It should be located in the Internet and Network Access group. You can make it easier to find by dragging the Firefox icon to your desktop and creating a shortcut there.
If you cannot find Firefox, try restarting your computer. If this still doesn’t work contact ServiceLine.
9. You can now use Firefox just like you used Internet Explorer. Start by entering the blackboard address into the address bar: https://blackboard.soton.ac.uk/